Tuesday 28 July 2015

3d square Ink Holder

As I havent really crafted in a while I decided to make something from the silhouette store that would be useful in my new craft room, and whilst emptying one of my numerous drawers, I felt a little sorry for my ink pads that had litterally just been chucked in the drawer (Yes Im blushing at the carelessness of it) and so I found this lovely st of holders for my inks. The design is by Jamie Cripps and the design ID is *45605.

As the holder is designed to fit 4 ink pads in I knew I would need more than one to start so I had a design here that would stack which was just what I wanted.

I used Silhouette brand chipboard


 I had a new blade as I had managed to chip my last one! so the chipboard cut perfectly on the recommended silhouette settings of blade 5 speed 1 thickness 33 double cut,  if I use a  well used blade I sometimes have to adjust the blade depth and my old cammie never worked on the recommended setting but all machines are different and you just have to take the time to get to know yours!

 I cut out enough chipboard to make 2 holders, and so the constructing began....

It was easy to do, much easier than I thought it would be once I sorted out the drawers from the drawer cases.

I used a bone folder to give me crisp edges,




 and I used the red tape to stick it together because I knew I needed something strong to hold it






 The outer drawer was  easy to construct too, but you have to make sure you crease the lines precisely other wise the drawer doesnt fit! (yes we all know I made the sloppy mistake first!!!)



The 'outer box' as it were was a simple make with 4 little bits of red tape

Here is a finished one...



I then added my second one on top and stuck it down again with red tape

As you can see, if you make 4 you can have them stand 2 up side by side and have a nice storage unit for your Ranger distress inks and the like!..you can also decorate them as you would wish. I chose to decoupatch mine and used some decoupage paper from Hobbycraft and some mod podge glue..

The mod podge glue gives it a sealed finish and so I didnt have to do anything else to the holder.
I used the silhouette  printable foil and a black silhouette pen to make labels of the colours of myink pads so I could see them at a glance.

Hope you like it and it gives you some inspiration for your own craft makes.

Thank you for looking
Love debby xx

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the fab tut, Debby! Papercraft craft storage makes so much sense! And that Silhouette chipboard is a dream to work with. Thanks for reminding me about it!

    ReplyDelete